Tigran Petrosian Chess House

Location: Yerevan, Armenia

Constructed: 1967-1970

Architects: Zhanna Mescheryakova (architect) and David Yerevantsi (sculptor)

Alternative name: Central House of Chess-player named after Tigran Petrosian

Genre: Modernist, Soviet architecture, former USSR

Tigran Petrosian (1929-1984) was a Soviet Armenian Grandmaster who was credited with popularising chess in Armenia after becoming the World Chess Champion in 1963, a title he retained until 1969. The triangular shape structure is named in his honour. The facade of the building is decorated with copper bas-relief, which stylises seven chess pieces.
Tigran Petrosian Chess House (Central House of Chess-player named after Tigran Petrosian) in Yerevan, Armenia | Modernist | Soviet architecture | former USSR

Did you know?… We also have an Instagram account and Facebook page that are dedicated to all things Architectonic. Join our community for daily photos of Brutalist architecture, Soviet memorials, abandoned buildings, classic modernism and gargantuan monuments. Just click on the links below.

Stay Posted

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our latest architecture posts as well as our latest news from the road less travelled...

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This