T-34 Tank, Memorial Complex of Glory

Location: Tiraspol, Transnistria

Completed: 1972

Architects: H. Fayfermaher (architect) and L. Fishbein (sculptor)

Genre: War memorial, Soviet memorial, former USSR

The Memorial Complex of Glory dedicated to veterans and those who fell during three conflicts: the Great Patriotic War (World War II), the Soviet–Afghan War (1979-1989), and the Transnistria War (2 March to 21 July 1992).

The decommissioned T-34 tank, which is one of a number of monuments at the site and dedicated to fallen soldiers, had been used in combat in Hungary during World War II. The machine was under the command of Lieutenant Boris Vasilyevich Sergeev, who was the son of Vasily Antonovich Sergeev, a prominent colonel in the Red Army. Boris died during the Budapest offensive (October 1944-February 1945) and, according to his wishes, the vehicle was transported back to the territory of the Soviet Union.

Other memorials that are part of the complex include an eternal flame, a Monument to Afghan Warriors, a Wall of Memory, and a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The war memorial was inaugurated in 1972 on the Defender of the Fatherland Day (23rd February).

T-34 Tank (Memorial Complex of Glory) in Tiraspol, Transnistria | War memorial | Soviet memorial | former USSR

Did you know?… We also have an Instagram account and Facebook page that are dedicated to all things Architectonic. Join our community for daily photos of Brutalist architecture, Soviet memorials, abandoned buildings, classic modernism and gargantuan monuments. Just click on the links below.

Stay Posted

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our latest architecture posts as well as our latest news from the road less travelled...

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This