Prague Expo 58
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Architects: František Cubr, Josef Hrubý and Zdeněk Pokorný
Former names: Restaurant Brussels Expo 58/Brussels Pavilion/Czechoslovak Pavilion Expo 1958
Genre: Modernist, Communist architecture, former Eastern Bloc
The building was originally a restaurant and part of the Czechoslovak Pavilion at the 1958 World Exposition held in Brussels. The pavilion won several awards at the exhibition, including the World Fair’s highest accolade, the Golden Star.
After the exposition, the structures were dismantled and transported back to Prague. The main pavilion was re-erected in the city’s Julius Fučík Park of Culture and Leisure (now the Prague Exhibition Grounds) but burnt down in a fire in October 1991 and was later demolished.
The restaurant was rebuilt in Letná park and served as such for a number of years until eventually it fell into decline in the late 1980s. The interior of the building was also gutted by fire in 1991. The structure was given a new lease of life by media agency Euro RSCG (now Havas Prague) who renovated the former restaurant in the early 2000s and used it as their office until 2020. The building is now occupied by an auction house and gallery and there is a small cafe on the lower level. It has been listed as a Cultural Monument since 1964.
Did you know?… We also have an Instagram account and Facebook page that are dedicated to all things Architectonic. Join our community for daily photos of Brutalist architecture, Soviet memorials, abandoned buildings, classic modernism and gargantuan monuments. Just click on the links below.
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our latest architecture posts as well as our latest news from the road less travelled...