Monument of 300 Aragveli
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Architect: A. Bakradze
Genre: Soviet monument, former USSR
The monument immortalises the Three Hundred Aragvians, a detachment of highlanders from the Aragvi Valley who fell defending Tbilisi at the last stand during the Battle of Krtsanisi. The battle took place from 8th to 11th September 1795 and was fought between the Georgian armies of the Kingdom of Kartli-Kakheti and the invading Persian forces of the Qajar dynasty. The Georgians lost and Tbilisi was completely destroyed by the victorious Persians.
The monument, which also features an obelisk, eternal flame and a memorial wall (added in 1969, author C. Mgaloblishvili), is located near the spot where the remains of some of those who were killed during the battle were discovered. The Three Hundred Aragvians were canonised by the Georgian Orthodox Church in 2008.
Did you know?… We also have an Instagram account and Facebook page that are dedicated to all things Architectonic. Join our community for daily photos of Brutalist architecture, Soviet memorials, abandoned buildings, classic modernism and gargantuan monuments. Just click on the links below.
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our latest architecture posts as well as our latest news from the road less travelled...